WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

THE CALICUT MISSION

On 4 December, 1933 feast of St Francis Xavier transferred to this date, the new Novitiate of the Calicut Mission was inaugurated. It was named Christ Hall. The two main reasons for opening the Novitiate were that the Novitiate at Shembagannur did not have sufficient accommodation for all the Novices of India. On the other hand the ideal aimed at was a Novitiate for every mission.

The concrete task of establishing the novitiate was entrusted to Fr Beretta, the vicar of the Calicut Cathedral. Fr Aloysius Coelho was appointed as the first Novice Master.

On 12 April, 1936 Fr. Aloysius del Zotto was appointed Rector of Christ hall Fr. Martin Coelho became the new Novice Master.

The Novices and Juniors moved to the newly built Mount St Joseph on 1 May, 1959.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greet work there. I really love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I am quite impressed with this site and the contributions. I am happy that I am part of this site and I wish to contribute regularly.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

I am quite impressed with this site and the way the members interact. I am quite new to bloggin and forum posting. But running a website/forum seems quite interesting I am trying it at the moment but finding it difficult wonder how the admin is running a site like this successfully. Looking forward to contribute regularly.
Thanks