WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Interview with Fr Denis Coelho SJ

We got a good opportunity to talk to the otherwise shy and soft-spoken Fr Denis Coelho. Apart from the many ministries he has taken up in his long serving life as a Jesuit, he has also been the Rector of Mount St Joseph. Currently residing at Dhyanashrama, the veteran Fr Denis is actively involved in directing retreats. Here are the excerpts of the interview with him.

Father, how would you like to describe your life at present? What are your present involvements?

I am attached to the retreat house. So my main work is directing retreats. Time permitting, I also teach English to the II year novices and write the house diary. So it is a peaceful life, regular life and I can be faithful to my spiritual life and community exercises.

We come across you as a person charged with positive energy. Can you tell us the secret?

It is an attitude I have cultivated from the earliest days in the Society. I have had many Jesuit models in this. There have also been some who have been negative and they have irked me.

What fires your passion for teaching?

Teaching has interested me from my Regency onwards. I had opportunity to interact and learn from exemplary teachers in Juniorate, Philosophy, Theology and in schools I have worked in. I see it as an apostolate and greatly like it.

Of all ministries you have undertaken, which one do you like the most? Why?

Most of my life after Theology and Ordination has been spent in schools. But I had the unique opportunity to work as a parish priest in a small parish of Bellary Diocese. (Now it is a part of Gulbarga Diocese). Those 6 months in Chittapur were the happiest of my life as a Priest.

You are person who likes change and innovation. How have you seen the Society change over the years? Has this change been for the better or for the worse?

I firmly believe that the change in the Church and the Society is inspired by Vatican II. It is the response to the call to “See the signs of the times.” With the Church, the Society too has been responding to the call of Vatican II, to go back to the sources and heed the signs of the times. St Ignatius himself called for a change, an ongoing change, a “MAGIS” – don’t stop, keep on doing better.

What is 'the important thing' that the Society of Jesus has taught to you as a life lesson?

It will take long to enumerate what the Society has taught me. We have to be torch-bearers. We have to work for promoting faith that does justice. We have to love the poor.

If you are given a second chance to live, what will be your choice?
Hard to say. The choice for me would be schools or distant missions like Afghanistan, Guyana or even Bijapur and Pannur-Manvi. Thank You Father.

4 comments:

Godrej R Rustumji said...

Father Denis Coelho. How can I every forget such a gently, soft spoken soul who took me in when no one else would, and had faith in me, when even I doubted myself.


I had just left Bishop Cotton Boys post my 09th and was looking for another school, when my parents approached Father for admission. In spite of my 'excellent grades', father took me in and gave me the opportunity most others wouldn't. His faith in me, and the support I received from St. Josephs is a kindness I shall take to my grave. I cleared by boards with ease, giving me the much needed encouragement to go ahead in life and make a name for myself. That name Father, will be synonymous with you always.

Thank you for all your guidance, blessings and trust in me. Thank you for extending your hand out when I was down, and giving me the opportunity to pass our a JOSEPHITE.

God bless you Father Coelho.

Anonymous said...

Father.... we are soooooo lucky to have studied during your tenure at sjbhs, we treasure it.

thank you for everything...

-Venkatesh BJ (1995 batch)

Vikramaditya Swarup Narayan said...

Dear Father,
I entered St. Josephs Boys High School in the fourth standard sometime in the 1980's. You were the Principal then.

I still remember fondly your kind words, your fairness and most importantly, the love that emanated from you.

Thank you Father. I'm blessed to have come in contact with you.

Love,

Vikramaditya Narayan

Unknown said...

Dear Father,

You were one of the most gentle yet fair person I have come across even since my school days. Will always remember your 'jingle' of the keys. It is so great that I had the chance to be in your presence.

thank you
Karthik