WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Golden Words – Interview with Fr John Baptist

Fr John Baptist Mendonca is a brand new member of the 50-Years-in-the-Society club. Affectionately known as Fr JB, he is the administrator of Dhyanashrama Retreat House. He has a passion for preaching, spiritual ministry (also teaching children as he reveals here) and specially gardening, where he finds His Lord and master actively at work. On the occasion of his Golden Jubilee as a Jesuit, we bring you the excerpts of the interview with him
Father, 50 years in the Society of Jesus – Another feather in your cap! What are your feelings on this day?
I never thought that this great day in my life would arrive. I am very happy grateful to God. It seems to me that it was just the other day on June 28, 1962 that I joined the Society of Jesus.
Genuine commitment is rarity nowadays. Your life is a beautiful testimony to commitment to Jesus. What has fuelled your commitment?
It is my Jesus. He met me. I saw Him. I heard His voice. I still see Him and hear His gentle and loving voice encouraging me to love Him and follow His ways.
Which part of your life as a religious do you cherish and treasure the most?
 The whole of my religious life to this moment, right from my Novitiate is beautiful. I have loved it and I continue loving it. 
During Holy Mass, we often hear you say that if we open our hymn books to sing, we give praise to God. Could you elaborate this thought? 
Yes, definitely. I am convinced of it. When we open the hymn book, even if we are not good singers, we praise and thank God that day, at that moment for the gift of life and energy. What a sad thing it will be if we while attending a birthday party refuse to sing the birthday song with the rest. What would the host feel?
What thoughts are foremost in your mind regarding you ministry in Dhyanashrama retreat house?
 I have spent 27 years of my Jesuit life teaching children. I miss it now. Now, for ten years I have been involving in the retreat ministry. I enjoy it. My 30-day retreat in Novitiate was a thrilling experience, from where I got a personal taste for preaching retreats. It is a fulfilling and satisfying ministry. The feedback given by retreatants encourages me. Their struggle in their spiritual lives makes me more human and compassionate.
“Shepherd me o Lord beyond…” “You are with me wherever I go…” – I am listing here your two favourite hymns. Can you tell why you like them ? 
These hymns, especially “You are with me,” are very close to my heart. I give a copy of the latter to each retreatant at the end of a retreat. I request them to carry it wherever they go to remind themselves that they are not alone and that Jesus travels and works with them. The text of the hymn summarises Psalm 139. 
Final question. What imagery of God do you like the most? 
God is my father and mother. Before I was conceived in my earthly mother’s womb, I was conceived in my earthly heavenly mother, Yahweh’s mind (Psalm139:13) My heavenly mother is always with me, showering tender love and care on me.

A Religious is a person very close to God
He or she gives to God everything without any reserve
Beyond giving one’s wealth, possessions or service to God 
A religious offers one’s self completely to God
“I am yours, you are mine”
 (Quoted by Fr JB in reply to the third question)

No comments: