WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Friday, June 5, 2009

"Heal & Comfort"

The Second-year Novices too were out for a month doing various “Experiments” - like taking care of the sick and suffering, binding the wounds of the lepers, comforting the HIV afflicted. Some were left to fend for themselves during the three weeks in the “Earn and live” experiment. Here is an account of some of the experiences of a few of them.....

Rayan: I went to Sumanahalli, a Leprosy rehabilitation center for my hospital experiment. Sumanahalli as the name itself suggests is truly a village of the people of good heart. Many religious congregations work here towards one Mission as one family. The inmates are fervent persons of prayer. We are indeed privileged to listen to the peoples joys and sorrows. The people here really have a heart that beats for others.

Roshan: Hospital experiment was a time for me to be with the abandoned of the society. I was sent to Snehadan HIV Center run by the Camelean Fathers whose Charism is “Heal the sick and live the Gospel.” It was indeed a joyful experience to serve the Lord through these people. I received an opportunity to focus on the 'Incarnation' from the Spiritual Exercises. I grew in compassion, patience and became an instrument of God’s love to them.

Kamalakar: My mission was to serve the mentally challenged people at Asha Nikethan. I was happy to spend close to three weeks with them. It was a challenge for me to understand them as they found it hard to express themselves. Though they are not as fortunate as we are, they have genuine care and concern for each other. I have learnt that “It is not what you do that matters but how much love you put in what you do.” This experience has made me realize the value of life and taught me to be compassionate to the sick and the suffering.

Ashwin: God is the author of life’s adventurous journey. I relished the writings of God and enjoyed my encounter with him during my ‘Earn and Live’ experiment. I moved forward though with fear, insecurity and anxiety but with complete trust in Him. I got the job of a painter. During my struggles and difficulties, Jesus showed me His comforting presence. I realized “What it means to break oneself.” I also understood the value of life, food and money. This encounter has strengthened my vocation and has helped me realize the preciousness of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy read the rich experiences of the Novices. Congratulations to Dion and Sunil for accompanying them in this process of their formation. All the best for the vows day!
- Manoj

Anonymous said...

Thank you Brothers for sharing your experiences. It's really inspiring.
Jossie D'Mello