WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Mission Experiment.......

I am Suman Balu doing my second year of novitiate. I was eagerly waiting for the Mission Experiment because of my great desire to become a missionary. When the actual day came to set out I was filled with great enthusiasm. I stayed in Vaddar family in the Kopparasikopa in the Hangal Taluk of North Karnataka.
I did various kinds of works like.. carrying paddy, shifting stones, painting, leveling the ground and every other work of my house. My family accepted me as their own son. On the first day when I went to work in the field I discovered how difficult it is to work for a whole day in the sun. My back started aching. But God gave me the strength to carry on with full zeal. When I felt thirsty they took me to a nearby pond. When I saw the pond I was shocked. The water was stagnant and dirty. Even the cattle bathed there. I just wondered how to drink this water. But I was so thirsty I just drank with one breath. Later I found this water was tastier than mineral water. In spite of drinking this water people are strong and healthy.
One of the great qualities of my villagers is 'sharing'. They share food, joys, sorrows and anything. We all shared food in the field. Through this I learnt the real meaning of Eucharist.
I enjoyed greatly the love of my village people and utmost love and care of the Jesuits. I am back to novitiate with the experiences which have really strengthened my vocation.

(Suman with his family members in the photo)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suman thank you for sharing your experience with us. Only such experiences mould us and shape us. All the best in other experiments.

Jossie D'Mello