WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Friday, March 9, 2012

The Livewire - Fr Hilario Fernandes SJ


We got a wonderful opportunity to talk to the ever lively and energetic Fr Hilario Fernandes – the live wire of Mount St Joseph. Actively engaged in the retreat ministry, he lives and breathes his work, as it is evident in his words. Here is Fr Hilario at his best.
What gives you contentment with life at present?
With the conflicting thoughts and feelings that grow with relentlessly advancing years, the only steadying thought is the conviction of God’s unconditional love. With God’s grace, the conviction steadily grows that we are sinners, but called to be companions of Jesus. The fine book ‘Broken but Loved’ by Jesuit Fr George Maloney explains this so well: “Healing comes from Jesus Christ. No matter how broken and dark our condition is, we can be healed and brought into the light of Jesus Christ…Jesus still needs us, broken limbs of the vine, but now healed by His Spirit of love.”
Tell us about your own spiritual journey and your journey in the retreat ministry in the past few years.
For the past eleven years I have been in the retreat ministry here in Dhyanashrama (apart from the nine years in this ministry in Singapore) To be a spiritual and retreat director is an awesome privilege! And it is my constant wonder that God has taken such an enormous risk by entrusting such a delicate ministry to sinful men like us! Many, if not all, retreatants and directees bare their souls to me in unquestioning trust, trusting me to lead them on the path of healing and holiness! The only feedback that makes me happy is when they tell me they have discovered Jesus, and have fallen deeply in love with Him. I’m disappointed when they praise me, because it means I’m drawing their attention away from Him.
What keeps you full of energy and enthusiasm?
If it is there, then it is God’s pure gift to me! All I know is that I never get bored. I am still enthusiastic about life, still interested in world events, both secular and religious, still interested in persons, still passionately interested in our beloved Society!
Wit and humour is the spice of your life. Can you share something about it?
I know I’ve inherited this from my mother. With her broken English (We spoke Portuguese) she could keep you in splits of laughter for hours! (I remember Pope Pius XII once blessed a group of comedians because they made people laugh – in our sad and broken world. It is a great help in my retreat and counselling ministry.)
In a sentence, your philosophy of life…
It is impossible to condense something so personal and profound in ‘one sentence.’ But there is one conviction that runs steadily through my life. Jesuit Fr Peter van Breemen has expressed it beautifully for me: “Faith is the realization that we are loved by God in a creative, reliable, intimate, respectful, unique and personal way. God loves me as I am. He calls me by my name.”
A life of 60 years in the Society of Jesus is a gift indeed. Have you any word of advice to budding Jesuits?
At this age, I am wary about dishing out advice, because I know no one is really listening. Anyway, I’ll risk it. My advice to you is based on these frequently-quoted words of Fr Arrupe: “For me, JESUS CHRIST IS EVERYTHING!” Fall in love with Jesus! And build your entire life on His values – the values of the Gospel. And – PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! Be persons of prayer! Cultivate a tender, filial love for Mary, Queen and Mother of the Society. My Mother! This is my final prayer for you – in the words of St Paul: “I pray that…you will be able to grasp with all Christians how wide and deep and long and high is the love of Christ, and to know for yourselves that love so far beyond our understanding!” (Ephesians 3:17-18) – AMDG –
Your favourite joke…
There are far too many to select one. Most of my jokes are, I think, situational – depending on the occasion, the connection and the audience. Here’s one, about Jesuits of course. A doting mother was trying to select a congregation for her son. She approached a priest: “How long is the Franciscan’s formation? “Eight years.” “And the Redemptorist?” “About eight years.” What about the Dominicans?” “I think about the same.” “How long does Jesuit formation take?” “Fifteen years.” “Ah! That’s it! That’s the congregation for my son! He’s a slow learner.”
Thank You Father for sharing with us.

No comments: