WELCOME TO MOUNT ST JOSEPH. CONNECTING JESUITS AND FRIENDS

Monday, March 12, 2012

At Another Time... A Lenten Poem

'At Another Time...' is a poem written by novice Leston Baptist Lobo. It tries to portray the poignant image of the first Good Friday. It prepares our hearts as we approach the day when our God climbed up Mount Calvary to die for each one of us. 
 
"No, you must not be out in the hot sun"
I said to my wife, Magdalene
"Though I am a poor blacksmith, 
I can look after my family"

To my surprise, A Roman came 
On horseback yelling at me
My only son ran to his mother's side
"Quick! Bring me the nails
That I ordered yesterday!
I lifted them up to him in my shivering hands
He grabbed them and set out on his way

In the hot sun, I joined my neighbours
to see the execution taking place
A long haired man with blood all over him
was made to lay on the cross on the hill

I heard weeping, yelling, cries and what not
When the sharp nails pierced his flesh - O what agony!
I looked at him and he looked at me
Then he was lifted up for all the world to see
As the ground turned red with his blood, I said
"I am sorry!" He lowered his eyes to me and said
"Do not worry. These nails are not that sharp to me"

No comments: